Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Waiting for Legality

We are currently in a rather frustrating holding pattern. This is the escrow period. We have paid our deposit and are hoping to see the contingencies removed in the 45 days allowed. However, not much has happened. Hubby has consulted with the septic and well men, also with the Architect and one builder, and has had multiple conversations with the realtor. But nothing seems to be moving forward. The seller needs to establish the legality of the parcel - which may apparently cost as much as $40,000 to do - and nothing seems to have happened on that yet. We can't move forward on drilling for a well until the parcel has been surveyed and legality established. Until the legal question has been seen to, we don't have confidence about what kind of parcel this is - i.e. whether it is one that will permit building. And the last thing we want is to end up with a Land Lemon...a parcel that we are simply conserving for the pleasure of future generations (and that no one would want to buy from us).

Seems to me that these are questions that the current owner could possibly have looked into before he bought it himself; but apparently the person he bought from insisted that he purchase this land alongside the parcel on which he actually built a house.

Those of a suspicious nature might think this implies there is a problem with the parcel. I guess we shall see.

1 comment: