If this were Britain...
- the pile of lumber in our front garden would have been stolen by now.
- our project would be behind schedule.
- the builders would be cussing and smoking on the job.
- the project manager would call me "love"
- the workmen would call me "love" (instead of "ma'am")
- I'd have been asked to make multiple cups of tea every day.
- I'd have hidden every valuable in the house, to prevent them disappearing. (Not necessarily fair, but a cultural truth, I think.)
- the builders would not have arrived at work at 7:15am and worked straight through till 4:30pm in the pouring rain.
- It would be raining.
Oh, that last one's true here too - it's bucketing down again.